Caring for an aging loved one can be one of the most stressful, heartbreaking experiences of your life. Unfortunately, this can become overwhelming for anyone. What can you do to ensure that your loved one is safe in their home for as long as possible?
Hire a Home Health Care Agency
A home health care agency will help you in so many ways – from physical care to household care – there is an element of this service that will improve the situation and ensure the utmost safety.
You will have a consultation visit with the agency. They will discuss the services offered, give you an idea of insurance coverage, and meet your loved one. This meeting will give you a great idea of what the future could be like. Even if you don't need all of the services now, you'll know exactly where to go when you do.
Bedroom and Bathroom Safety
Many injuries that the elderly sustain are suffered in the bedroom or bathroom. From slippery floors to the off-balance maneuvering to the bathroom in the middle of the night, there are many risks that can be reduced in these two highly trafficked areas.
In the Bedroom:
- Purchase a bed handrail – it provides assistance rising from a lying position and something to hold on to until they get their balance after standing.
- Position a potty chair beside the bed – eliminate those groggy walks to the bathroom at night.
- Remove all trip hazards – area rugs and furniture with legs that stick out, as well as all other trip hazards. Check the threshold at each doorway – ensure they are flush, or close to flush with the floor so that walkers and wheelchairs don't get caught up on them.
In the Bathroom:
- Install several grab bars – in the shower, near the sink, at the doorway, beside the toilet. These can not only help them avoid falling, but also help them get up if they do fall.
- Sticky patches on the floor – if the floor is slippery when wet, use those removable sticky patches that you'd typically place in the bottom of the tub. This will improve traction without introducing area rugs.
- Install a handheld showerhead – this will help with thorough head-to-toe cleanings much more safely than the alternative.
Although these will be difficult times, they will also be cherished. Get some help with a home care agency so that you have more time to simply enjoy loving your loved one during these precious days.
Contact a home health care service like Comfort Keepers Home Health Care for more information.